Fiberglass Congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Drummer1 » Fri Jun 01, 2001 9:03 pm

Is fiberglass congas any good??
Drummer1

Postby Yukon conga » Sat Jun 02, 2001 8:23 am

Hey there Drummer1.
I have fibreglass Matador congas and bongos. I originally got fibreglass because where I live (Yukon, northern Canada) the climate is very dry. I figured this would be a problem with wood drums. And the price difference at that time (5 years ago) was negligible.

To try to describe the difference in sound I would say the fibreglass conga is a bit more bright, and the wood congas are kind of mellow. I think my congas sound great, especially when I hear a real conguero playing them.

I have always been very careful not to let my drums get scratched or banged around. But I have seen some other fibreglass congas that have not been treated so carefully and they often have paint peeling off them in great chunks. I guess this is because the fibreglass flexes when it gets bumped, but the paint is not so elastic.

Hope this info helps.

Ross
Yukon conga

Postby martin » Sat Jun 02, 2001 12:40 pm

Hy Yukon en Drummer 1.

At this moment i have two Meinl congas, from the marathon series. I think they are not so young anymore (rather old, my father in law bought them on a garbagemarket, but it is certainly no garbage. For me (but i'm just drumming for about 1,5 year) they create a good sound, and in the beginning it is good to practice on.

Now, i am planning to by two (maybey 3) new conga's.
I have heard that it is better to by a conga and a tumbadora instead of another combination such like a quinto and a conga. Do you have some advice for me about what sort of congas is good for my to practise further on.

By the way...i have bongos form Afro-percussion (Fiberglass). They have a great sound!!

see/hear you...

De groeten (=dutch for bye)
martin

Postby rens copal » Fri Mar 15, 2002 12:06 pm

Very recently I (08-03-02) my wife bought me, as a gift for our 25 wedding anniversary a set of Afro mini congas. Salida.
They are made of fiber, and to my opion, a great sound for small hardware . So I think you are right.
For a starter ( as myself ) they are a little small, for the real practis.However, if playing congas pleases my, the real ones
can always be bought.
rens copal

Postby 120-1016659394 » Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:23 pm

the great thing about fiberglass is that temp does not effect it. that meens if you have gigs and take them places thry are les likly to crack because of humidity. but i love the sound of wood. wood resinates more and gets a fuller sound. i think that it is better to get a conga and a tumbadora. you get a better base of sound.
120-1016659394

Return to CongaSet and accessories