Comparing LP Classic and Pearl Elite

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby musicmunch » Sun Sep 16, 2001 4:26 am

Any comments on what the differences are between a conga and tumba in each of these lines? I wonder about whether the rim is as comfortable on the Pearls as on the LPs. Are there any quality differences in sound beacuse of the heads used? How about the body size and shape? I believe the LPs are two inches taller and it also seems like the LPs are a bit bigger in diameter. Anything you can offer may help in making a decision to purchase.
musicmunch

Postby congamyk » Thu Nov 15, 2001 4:51 pm

I play the classic LP's and love them. I havent played the Pearls...
congamyk

Postby tamboricua » Thu Nov 15, 2001 5:27 pm

I believe that CongaPlace member Johnny Conga endorses Pearl Elites, he can give you a better input on the Elites. Are you there Johnny?

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Nov 16, 2001 5:00 pm

Hi guys Well the classic LP, which I believe is the 28inch fiberglass is a great drum for Salsa bands.that was the "Original" I don't have the Pearl Elite Fiberglass drums yet , I have the wooden ones. Now for me,I was always a fiberglass player until LP turned me down after 25 yrs of playing them.Don't know why? So I went to Pearl and they gave me an Endorsement based on my History not whether I wa playing with Gloria Estefan or somebody...The woodan drums for me are Great,and took time for my ears to adjust to. They are also Acoustically designed for maximum sound,and they sound good. Comfort rims and made out of Thailand Oak with water buffalo heads. I think for the volume of drums LP puts out you would think they could be cheaper ,but nope it ain't that way, 600 a drum whew,can sure discourage someone from taking up what i use to call a "Poor Man's Instrument" not anymore.....How much could Fiberglass really cost especially when it comes out from Molds and it;s poured in. It's Glass, compressed hardened glass with Fiber..that's all......so that's my story.....I still like them but wouldn't buy them inless second hand now.....I refuse to support Martin Cohen.....JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby Rumbaon6 » Wed Jan 02, 2002 7:22 pm

Good for you JC! The Pearl Elite you endorse is a better drum and also, Meihl and Remo make a #### of good drum!
Rumbeando en la 6, hasta que amanezca el día...
Rumba on 6[br]http://www.6gonline.com/guaguanco
Rumbaon6

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:00 pm

The difference between a conga and a tumba is size only. You don't nessicerally buy a conga for it's rims, but for it's sound and it's construction. Remo just came out with what they call "soft" rims,actually "rubberlike" rims, for their Poncho model. But if you have "proper" technique it is not a factor as too how the rims are. Just as long as they are not to close to the top of the head of the drum,then that is a problem. At your service.......JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Return to CongaSet and accessories