Shoosing a conga set - Main caracteristics/ Toca's,  Pearl or ?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Lucia » Tue Sep 04, 2001 11:14 am

Hello,

I am a little bit more than a conga beginner and am so impatient to buy a set of congas that enables me to evoluate at a good level. My budget is not huge.
You would help me a lot if you have some answers to my 3 questions:

- What are the main characteristics I should pay attention to for good quality congas ? (and what makes the difference between cheap and expensive congas ?)

- What do you think about Toca's Custom Deluxe or Pearl's percussions ? Or is there another better choice ?

- What is the better size choice: a conga and a tumbao or a quinto and a conga ?

Thank you so so much !
Lucia

Postby niallgregory » Thu Sep 06, 2001 7:23 pm

hello buying congas is a tricky buisness just like buying any instrument.If you can bring someone with you who knows about the instrument they can advise you,if not then you need to watch out for good skins and solid hardware.Both pearl and toca make some excellent drums it depends how much you spend.In my experience cheap congas are a waste of money,you will soon tire of them and they will hinder your progress as a player.As far as sizes go conga and tumba are better for a beginner, you need space for your hands to develop technique and most quintos at the cheaper end of the market are to small for this .good luck with your choice.cheers
niallgregory

Postby limberic » Fri Sep 07, 2001 1:39 am

Conguerita Lucia -

I would direct you to the older pages of this FORUM. What you are asking for has been discussed at least 3 times in the past 6 months, at length & many messages, with much good informations & sometimes not so good opinions. But you can learn a lot about what you might do / buy as a serious conquerita / student. So read 'em!

Best Regards,
Eric Limba
limberic

Return to CongaSet and accessories