Beginning Conga Player - I love my LP Matador!!!

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby limberic » Tue Apr 10, 2001 1:50 am

Thank You All Who Gave Me Advice on buying my first conga drum(s), especially Mikey V., Isaac Gutwilk, and Bill Losh ...

Initially, a bought a really nice set of TOCA Players, 10/11" heads, with basket stands. Honey Amber color - really beautiful BUT they weren't givin' me the sounds. So I took them back after a week and traded them in on ONE LP Matador Conga, 11 3/4" head. The Real Thing. I am so happy with my one conga. I can wait for another year to buy a tumba.

Guess, it's like most things: BUY THE MOST EXPENSIVE TOOL THAT YOU CAN AFFORD. You usually won't go wrong.
limberic

Postby Bill Losh » Tue Apr 10, 2001 7:02 pm

Eric, glad you're happy. Here's a tip, when you are learning new grooves and they call for your right hand to hit the tumba just hit your conga with a bass tone (flat palm center of drum). If you can do this, you can play anything you play on two drums the day after you buy your second drum, promise. Enjoy.
Bill Losh

Postby Laurent Lamy » Wed Apr 11, 2001 9:47 am

The LP Matador is the best beginner line of congas drums.
Laurent Lamy

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 11, 2001 6:45 pm

Yep, those Matador are great. I use an 11 3/4" as a tumba because I love the sweet deep tone while I´m slapping my $%& off on a LP Classic Quinto. Really ! It fits together (I´m no hardcore traditionalist)
Mike

Postby Bill Losh » Sun Apr 15, 2001 9:14 am

Erik, there is a matador quinto 11" for sale on ebay right now so far only 66 dollars it might stay cheap.I don't know if the color matches yours but maybe.
Bill Losh

Postby MikeyP » Tue Apr 17, 2001 5:57 pm

Limberic, I too have the toca players 10/11" heads. I've had them for a few months, but it's getting to the point where it's not giving me enough in terms of creating more sounds. I've been debating about upgrading to a better quality drum, plus someone told me about getting the matadors.
MikeyP

Return to CongaSet and accessories