What Congas for a Beginner to Buy?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby limberic » Tue Apr 03, 2001 2:31 am

I am about to buy a / pair of congas. I essentially have 趚 - 跾 to spend right now. What to buy? One higher quality single conga or a beginner's pair of 10/11" heads. I have a hunch from what people have written that I will probably be further a head if I only buy one conga (11 3/4") rather than a beginner set of a pair (10/11"). Do you agree? Is the 10" (requinto?) really something of a problem for beginners? As I wrote before, I have a little 8 1/2 ' conga that I've been banging on for 3 years (and I do get a popping slap on it as well as a tone - but its got no bass). And I have been playing djembe for about one year.

Any suggestions (again!) from experienced congueros would be sincerely appreciated. Please excuse that I posted a very similar message last week but now the old forum is gone.

Thank You Very Much, Eric
limberic

Postby paulo da salvia » Tue Apr 03, 2001 3:11 pm

My personal opinion is to buy two congas, 'cause in anyway you'll need two drums in a short time (of course if you're going to practice these instruments 'seriously')
No matter if you don't start with the best quality.
Another personal suggestion: buy conga + tumba (as in classic cuban style), and not quinto + conga (as I did!!).
Don't worry, you get a slap sound as good as you're playing with a quinto (it depends on tuning), but you have a much better bass.
I don't think you really need a requinto.
Stay tuned!
paulo da salvia

Return to CongaSet and accessories