Victory Celebration by John Williams

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Victory Celebration by John Williams

Postby Jani Lehtioksa » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:51 pm

When the Imperium is defeated and the whole galaxy gets on partying down, a song starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II04E2GEJG8

Can you tell me about this rhythm? If somebody has notation for the conga, i'd love to see it!

Thank you!
Jani Lehtioksa

Re: Victory Celebration by John Williams

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:51 pm

I would call it a 'fusion -baion" rhythm of Brasilian roots... created for the movie ..IMHO...
JohnnyConga

Postby Derbeno » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:45 am

Interesting!
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:01 am

I also have to say it could also be considered a 'slow samba' but this sounds like it was recorded in the 60's when you had american musicians just learning how to play Brasilian rhythms, (and the Bossa Nova was one of them, a rhythm unknown in Brasil for a long time) and not even played in Brasil ... so these recorded rhythms were 'offshoots' of original rhythms the musicians weren't very familiar with at that time..and played them the way they thought they should be played or created by the composer/arrangers who weren't familiar as well with Brasilian rhythms, and would hire studio "legit" percussionists and have them read out the parts to play....PS there is no conga drum on that recording that i can hear...but u can make one up for it.. 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and T=tone S=slap
T TT S T TT S
R RL R R RL R
JohnnyConga

Postby jorge » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:21 am

JC, the congas are on the right channel only, maybe you just have one channel coming through. Definitely not 60s, the first Star Wars was released in 1977. It is a 3 conga pattern, a fusion of tumbao, bossa nova, R&B-like rhythm with some variations thrown in, well played, not inspired but not bad. It is not a single named rhythm. For the OP, it is pretty clearly recorded, should not be hard to transcribe it yourself if you like the tune and know how to read and write music. You can play it either hand to hand or tumbao style, depending on what you know and how you set up your 3 congas.
jorge

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:06 pm

Tks Jorge...I definetly didnt hear any congas...it is also possibly that they took that trak from a 60's recording and used it for the movie ..they do that all the time as well...
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises