Tilting bongos set up

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Tilting bongos set up

Postby CalvinP » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:53 am

Hi guys, some of you probably know that I am a new member, and I'm a beginner of percussion playing and long time drummer. I naturally set up my bongos in a tilted manner. It is just naturally for me, if you think about it: Playing sit down with bongos between your leg, they are also tilted forward. I've found that tilting it this way I use less energy than set them flat. The wrist extension become less, much less. My question is: Does any one else play it this way?

To some of the veterans here they probably well conditioned to deal with it, but for a new guy like me, it helps a lot. When I set the bongos together with the congas, they are also tilted and lower than the congas, and they are next to me instead of higher and in front. If you sit in front of me, you probably can't see the bongos, as the congas would block the view
CalvinP

Re: Tilting bongos set up

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:15 am

I use the SONOR sit-down bongo stand when I have a multi-instrument setup with congas, hi-hat etc.,
and I find the tilted-forward mode of the bongos very natural when my bongó is mounted on the stand that way.
Peace & drum
Mike

Re: Tilting bongos set up

Postby CalvinP » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:50 am

So I am not the only weird one, LOL Thanks for the input Mike. BTW Bongos upfront and high may block the view of some beautiful ladies happen to be in the audience, though it may look better that way. I always need that inspiration from those audience
CalvinP

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises