patato rhythm in evolution of the tumbadoras

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

patato rhythm in evolution of the tumbadoras

Postby jaooaj » Sun May 15, 2011 2:05 am

Right around 22:30 Changuito demonstrates a Patato rhythm he apparently used in the conjuntos. He then demonstrates how Patato would do the same rhythm double time.

I can't figure out where the one is for either of these rhythms! Place the one anywhere and these rhythms sound good, but where is it really supposed to go? If you can provide a recording or example where this rhythm is used that would be amazing to see. Also anyone have any other references to learn some other Patato rhythms? His approach to the instrument is beautiful.

cs o o g os os O O
l r r l r l R R

I'm thinking the one starts as above.(cs close slap, o open, g ghost, os open slap, CAPs means on the tumba) For the double time version, I'm not even sure what the pattern is, it seems so different.

Thanks!
jaooaj

Re: patato rhythm in evolution of the tumbadoras

Postby onile » Sun May 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Carlos "Patato" Valdez Ibaye 'baye torun

He has always had a sweet attack to your most basic rhythm, more so to the point of incorporating a "bata" feel to his set up of four tumbadoras!

Que Chevere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJrQl3m3QQ
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby pcastag » Sun May 15, 2011 3:19 pm

I play a little of that rhythm in this demo vid I did of my gon bops, about 2:10, the first open tone is on the one.
PC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkGj8rR2Q5Q
PC
pcastag

Postby pavloconga » Mon May 16, 2011 3:23 am

jaooaj wrote:Right around 22:30 Changuito demonstrates a Patato rhythm he apparently used in the conjuntos. He then demonstrates how Patato would do the same rhythm double time.

I can't figure out where the one is for either of these rhythms! Place the one anywhere and these rhythms sound good, but where is it really supposed to go? If you can provide a recording or example where this rhythm is used that would be amazing to see. Also anyone have any other references to learn some other Patato rhythms? His approach to the instrument is beautiful.

cs o o g os os O O
l r r l r l R R

I'm thinking the one starts as above.(cs close slap, o open, g ghost, os open slap, CAPs means on the tumba) For the double time version, I'm not even sure what the pattern is, it seems so different.

Thanks!

Here's the 2 patterns from the video / booklet 'Evolution of the Tumbadoras'
- 2 drum pattern

- and double time pattern as demonstrated by Changuito
Attachments
double time pattern.jpg
Carlos Patato Valdes 2 drum pattern.jpg
pavloconga

Postby jaooaj » Mon May 16, 2011 8:00 am

Ah thanks guys, thought I had it wrong. I'm going to have to get my hands on that booklet! Makes it super clear... awesome.

Nice playing pcastag, I transcribed what you played to see if I could see how the rhythms relate. You play the rhythm on measures 3,4 and 7,8. Is the whole thing a Patato rhythm, something you made up, or something you learned somewhere else? Anyway, sounds nice!

In the attachment: top line: m-macho,h-hembre,3-third drum. middle line: open slap,tip,closed slap, open, capital letters means accent louder.
Attachments
rhythm.jpg
jaooaj

Postby pavloconga » Wed May 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Here's the correct notation of the rhythms Patato plays as demonstrated by Changuito:
Attachments
patato_.jpg
pavloconga

Postby pcastag » Wed May 18, 2011 9:38 pm

You know what? I got confused, I think I was playing the giovanni version of the patato rhythm off of his video, not the changuito version.
PC
pcastag

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises