Tony Williams up tempo ride

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Tony Williams up tempo ride

Postby elrayo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:39 am

What would you play over this?

I mean besides a blasing fast Tumbao , what would you do ? :roll:
elrayo

Re: Tony Williams up tempo ride

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:06 am

what ? where?.... :?
JohnnyConga

Postby elrayo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:16 pm

LOL :P

It's so hard keeping up with Tony, and that late 60's Miles Band.. What would you play Johnny, on a tune like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_whk6m67VE
elrayo

Postby tamboricua » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Sorry to jump on a question intended for JC, but I won't play anything!!!

The beauty of that particular style lies in that ride cymbal and the comping he is doing between snare and kick.

Saludos,

JG
tamboricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:34 pm

If I had to I would play guarapachangeo to it...and try to keep up with Tony...hahaha...
JohnnyConga

Postby Thomas Altmann » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:58 pm

I am with tamboricua. I am both a jazz drummer and a conga player, and I never liked to tie jazz drummers with a freer post-bop approach to a conga tumbao. It strangles the trap drummer and makes the conguero sound cheesy.

If you want to hear a really fast tumbao in swing, listen to Mongo Santamaria's "Dirty Willie" on the Skins CD (or LP).

The field for a conga player to do the comping, fill-in, and repique along with the jazz drummers left hand & right foot is yet unexplored. I did it sometimes in medium tempos, but not often enough to really master it, make it sound good and matured, or represent it as "my style" or whatever. I guess I have to leave it over to guys who have more opportunities to play. Your chance!

To me, the conga/swing combination has always a more groove- or even dance-oriented, boogalooish flavour and should be handled with discretion in a hardcore jazz setting (apart from early Afro-Cuban Jazz à la Dizzy, Machito etc.).

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby elrayo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks guy's ! You actualy answered my question..

Especialy you Thomas,, Hey, I didn't know you were a traps drummer!

@ jC GUARAPACHANGUEO? I'm not feelin you... :/ lol
elrayo

Postby Anonimo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:40 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:25 pm

Guarapachangeo is the New Rumba style created by Pancho Quinto in Cuba...Panga has a youtube video demonstrating HIS version of how to play it..notice the last two beats on the tumbadora lands with the last 2 beats of the rumba clave second time thru the phrase.....fell me now?... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Percussination » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:21 am

Oops. Sent too late, so it was irrelevant. (deleted post)
Last edited by Percussination on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Percussination

Postby Anonimo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:52 am

Anonimo

Postby Percussination » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:48 am

I've played with jazz combos (traditional jazz, not latin jazz) on congas and bongos. Don't play a traditional afro-cuban rhythm. If you do, the whole groove will feel WAY too heavy. The uptempo ride grooves are usually supposed to feel light and nimble.
Just comp. Like a piano or guitar. Play single drum notes, or two together, playing sparse rhythms, using the different pitches of the drums to fit the shape of what the others are doing. Think more about playing with the soloist, rather than just being an extension of the drummer.
Percussination

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Leedy ur right..BUT!...so what if they invent re-invent.. it's about inventing and creating is it not?....if i want to and can play some form of a Guarapachangeo in some form of Jazz situation..I will only play it 'if it works/fits" the music..and true sometimes it's better to play nothing at all...Dirty Willie is one of my favorite tunes..for u young guys I dare to try and keep up with Mongo's tumbao on this tune..and I mean 'keep up"...I challange u!...hahahahaha...forget the 6/8 section...it's the up tempo swing tumbao that he plays that kicks butt...
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:32 pm

Anonimo

Postby Gallichio » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:49 pm

In the case of this Miles video, I think it would be best, if they had a conga player that he sat out on this number.
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Next

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises