Samba ?

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Samba ?

Postby Roka » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:52 am

Hi, I just found this pattern some time ago:

o-p-s-t-O-O-t-o-p-s-t-O-O-t-O-t-

(capitals - Tumba)

And it was called a Samba pattern. Is it ?
I like this one. Can you suggest some variations ?

P.S. if this forum would be on "Courier New" it would be very helpful
to use this kind of notation I think.
Roka

Re: Samba ?

Postby davidpenalosa » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Roka,
This looks like a conga drum adaptation of samba (congas are not a traditional samba instrument). It resembles the surdo (bass drum) part.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Tone » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:52 pm

I don't see how this relates to Samba in any way.

A surdo part would be something like that
OptooptOOptooptO or many other possibilities since there are three surdos interacting, but the main thing is to hit the one and the two of the main surdo de marcaƧao. I have some pretty cool adaptation that integrates two or three instruments, that I will post when I have the time.

As for other instruments like tambourims, caixa, repique , repinique, recoreco, etccc.... none that I can see are matching this pattern.

Nowadays congas are often seen in roda da Samba and they tend to play around the partido.
Also you will hear parts imported from the candomble and Ijexa. Like congo and cabula. Check out this beautyfull song by Clara Nunes : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw5L5exltgU

I went to see a band in Lapa last saturday which featured Dom Chacal as one of the percussionists( I teach tumbadoras to the Pandeiro player and he teaches me) , we had a nice chat as he recalled how he met all the greats like Mongo and others when he was touring the world with Sergio Mendes. But it was interesting to speak to the other percussionists as they said how they liked to play with Chacal in a Samba context as he brings very different flavors to the Rio scene. I have seen him use all sorts of Cuban parts and instruments on the Samba and it works if done just right like he does. Chacal learned his stuff from the cats in New York in the 60s and 70s.
tone
Tone

Postby davidpenalosa » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:23 pm

Tone wrote:I don't see how this relates to Samba in any way.A surdo part would be something like that
OptooptOOptooptO

Hi Tone,
What about the pattern of open tones for this surdo part?

M . . . O . . . M . . . O . O .

M = muted stroke w/ beater
O = open tone w/ beater

I am showing only the right hand strokes, but it does have a resemblance to the conga part in question.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Tone » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:59 pm

yes you are right, except that the double hit in the original example will give the completely wrong emphasis. The second hit of the two OO should be on the down beat not after or it will sound really off.
So I guess we could rewrite it like this :
o . . O O . . . o . . O O . O .
tone
Tone

Postby davidpenalosa » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:26 am

Tone wrote: we could rewrite it like this :
o . . O O . . . o . . O O . O .

That looks good.
-David
davidpenalosa

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises