books/cds/sites

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

books/cds/sites

Postby ranger42 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:54 am

any suggestions on good books, cds and/or websites for beginners..?
i'm taking lessons and learning lots of rhymes and love playing.
any suggestions that will improve my techniques/knowledge is appreciated.
ranger42

Re: books/cds/sites

Postby vinnieL » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:55 am

Tomasito Cruz Volume 1 DVD and Book will keep you busy for a long time if practiced religiously. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... &x=11&y=19
vinnieL

Postby vinnieL » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:58 am

And welcome to the forum Ranger.
vinnieL

Postby thomas newton » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:55 pm

hi ranger,
Finding many sources to learn from is all well and good but won't get you very far if you are just starting out.

You should:
Learn the basic tones and keep playing them until you have a clear differentiation between them and you honestly believe you have the best sound you can get from your drum with each. Don't get fancy - you need clear consistent sounds or you have nothing.

Stick to a few basic rhythms. This depends on the styles you want to play but again don't get fancy, don't try to become an encyclopedia.

Keep practicing your tones and your basic rhythms until - to paraphrase my own teacher - the sound makes you smile and you are playing like a train no one can stop!

If you want video clips there are some good teachers/demonstrators on youtube - some of the best post on this forum. Also check out the videos thread for a wide range of players, styles and settings. http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2279

If you want to read/research, study the history of your instrument, clave and this article - http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/ladzekpo/PrinciplesFr.html

Don't hurt your hands with noob enthusiasm - seriously. If you get sore, stop playing until you get better.

Good luck on the long road.
Tradition is not the custody of ashes but the propagation of fire.
thomas newton

Postby ranger42 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:59 pm

thanks vinnieL,
i already ordered the book and hope to receive it later this week.

thomas,
thanks for the advice.
i will be sure to continue doing my tone exercises.
any rudiments you are partial too?
ranger42

Postby vinnieL » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:32 am

Volume one will get you working on your tones and while its boring it is essential. He also has rudiments on there to work on. If you can find the book called stick control it will be helpful once you develope your tones. Technique is essential for tones and the well being of your hands take care of your hands as the above poster stated.
vinnieL

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises