Online Teaching

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Online Teaching

Postby lpcongaplayer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:29 pm

If you were to pick an on-line Conga teacher who offers free lessons to get me started who would it be? :) Like Nate Torres?

If you were to choose a CD instructional program for teaching basic Conga playing who would it be?

Thanks
Billy: Mommy! I want to be a drummer when I grow up!
Mommy: Now, Billy. You know you can't do both.
lpcongaplayer

Re: Online Teaching

Postby windhorse » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:47 pm

You should look everywhere online! Check out every source you get and immerse yourself with everything you find. There's a bunch of stuff on Youtube, and several of us have websites of our own.. Like mine is www.mrcrowder.us
Of course this one at congaplace is a wealth of information. :D
One of the things some of us at congaplace are now exploring is using skype video conferencing for sharing rhythms and lyrics.
But, nothing will prepare you and get the real technique and vibe into you like learning from a real human. Do not discount putting a great deal of effort into finding someone local who is a reputable instructor. Also find everyone you can who is willing to visit you and jam or play,, and vice versa..
I'm sure that I won't be the only one offering this advice..
Laurent Lamy does some online tutorials.. Maybe he'll pop up in this thread.
Also from this list, Johnny Conga and Abukua have some youtube videos where they show technique and rhtyhm.
Oh, and here's a really great place that costs a little $, but is well worth it, to learn some rhythms online: http://congamasterclass.com/
Happy online hunting! But start learning from a PERSON ASAP!
Dave
windhorse

Postby lpcongaplayer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:02 pm

windhorse wrote:You should look everywhere online! Check out every source you get and immerse yourself with everything you find. There's a bunch of stuff on Youtube, and several of us have websites of our own.. Like mine is http://www.mrcrowder.us
Of course this one at congaplace is a wealth of information. :D
One of the things some of us at congaplace are now exploring is using skype video conferencing for sharing rhythms and lyrics.
But, nothing will prepare you and get the real technique and vibe into you like learning from a real human. Do not discount putting a great deal of effort into finding someone local who is a reputable instructor. Also find everyone you can who is willing to visit you and jam or play,, and vice versa..
I'm sure that I won't be the only one offering this advice..
Laurent Lamy does some online tutorials.. Maybe he'll pop up in this thread.
Also from this list, Johnny Conga and Abukua have some youtube videos where they show technique and rhtyhm.
Oh, and here's a really great place that costs a little $, but is well worth it, to learn some rhythms online: http://congamasterclass.com/
Happy online hunting! But start learning from a PERSON ASAP!
Dave

Thanks Dave,

I have been all over the internet and found some great sites! Yes, YouTube have also been a valuable asset.
I live in a town with 5000 people and about 2.5 hrs away from any City of considerable size so finding a good Conga player locally will be difficult. I currently play my Meinl Cajons but really look forward to learning the techniques and styles of true Conga playing.
lpcongaplayer

Postby JConga » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:38 pm

I have 17 videos on youtube.com type in search "How to play the Conga Drum"....any question feel free to contact me..I have a webcam and headset for one on one real time talk as well...sign into MSN Hotmail and u will see when im online and we can talk...at your service..."JC" Johnny Conga
IMG_4302.jpg
JConga

Postby lpcongaplayer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:59 am

JConga wrote:I have 17 videos on youtube.com type in search "How to play the Conga Drum"....any question feel free to contact me..I have a webcam and headset for one on one real time talk as well...sign into MSN Hotmail and u will see when im online and we can talk...at your service..."JC" Johnny Conga
IMG_4302.jpg

Thanks JC I hear good things about you. I intend on being good with the drums some day too.
Age 44 is never to old... :lol:
Sincerely,

Mike
lpcongaplayer

Postby Laurent Lamy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:59 am

I give lessons by internet. The course includes 4 visible only streaming videos on my site.
Here's how it goes: You contact me by email to ask me to take lessons. We are discussing with MSN about the content you want.
Once agreed, I will send you a Paypal payment request.
This course is sold at one time for you to measure.
I ask you to take two courses in advance. This represents 30 € X 2 = 60 € I am following the course when you're ready. It is up to you to contact me to ask the following courses.

I made a personal page for you on my site with videos. I send you a confidential code to access your course you can see as many times as you want until the next course.

ZunZun
Laurent Lamy

Postby lpcongaplayer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:41 pm

JC,

While I'm waiting for my drums to come... I am doing the practice hand exercises on a wooden chopping block that sits on my lap while watching TV. :lol: Wife and kids look like this> :roll: <

Heel tip-Heel Tip and Heel Heel Heel Tip Tip...
lpcongaplayer

Postby lpcongaplayer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:42 pm

Laurent Lamy wrote:I give lessons by internet. The course includes 4 visible only streaming videos on my site.
Here's how it goes: You contact me by email to ask me to take lessons. We are discussing with MSN about the content you want.
Once agreed, I will send you a Paypal payment request.
This course is sold at one time for you to measure.

ZunZun

Thanks Laurent.
lpcongaplayer

Postby phillyjo26 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:00 pm

Hello, I am blessed to live in Philly so there are a few good teachers around. However, I recently purchased Tomas Cruz's Conga Method. I think that its great. It comes with a book and DVD. Great for the beginner, intermediate and advanced player. I have been playing for about 5 years so I purchased Vol. II & III. I love both of them. The LP website (http://www.congahead.com) has alot of video's online.

Joe
phillyjo26

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises