"What's Going On" Pattern

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

"What's Going On" Pattern

Postby torpedo tom » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Is the pattern that Eddie "Bongo" Brown plays on "What's Going On" an "official" pattern like a tumbao or guaguanco or something like that and if so, what is the name of it, or is it one that he made up? Learning the pattern for this song has been haunting me for a very long time, but after seeing him play it on that Youtube video, I feel like I'm closing in on it. Thanks, Torpedo Tom
torpedo tom

Re: "What's Going On" Pattern

Postby pavloconga » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:12 am

Hi Tom,
I've seen the same vid on youtube and have it in my library.
I know this as a funk pattern (others here may call it something different). [If JC reads this - what's your take Johnny?]
Keep in mind he's not playing exactly the same rhythm all the way through, he's adding accents, fills and variations but always maintains the feel and flavor of the funk pattern.
He's always got that funk groove laid down solid!
cheers
Pavlo

p.s. see previous thread called "Rock/Funk/Disco/Pop"
pavloconga

Postby TONE74 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:55 pm

I have it on a Michael Spiro book and its written this way:
*big O's are open on low drum, small o's open on high drum
tc-touch, s slaps

R-O L-tc R-O L-tc R-s L-tc R-tc L-o R-tc L-o R-o L-tc R-s L-tc R-tc L-o
TONE74

Postby JConga » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:51 pm

This is almost the same pattern i play in the Gloria Gaynor video with some other inflections..basically the "ol skool" cats considered this a "funky R & B back beat, with the slaps on 2 and 4 with the drummer..and the tones are emulating the kick drum...."JC" Johnny Conga
JConga

Postby burke » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:06 pm

So is a 'touch' the same as a 'ghost' (ie: no sound - just time keeping) or is it a 'mute'.

or some other kind of animal?
Burke
burke

Postby burke » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:15 pm

Sorry - I have the book (What was I thinking!?)... just not that far along with it yet. To answer my own question (as very well explained by Mr. Spiro). They are ghosts - not meant to be heard but needed to keep the feel and the groove.
Burke
burke

Postby torpedo tom » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:58 pm

TONE74 wrote:I have it on a Michael Spiro book and its written this way:
*big O's are open on low drum, small o's open on high drum
tc-touch, s slaps

R-O L-tc R-O L-tc R-s L-tc R-tc L-o R-tc L-o R-o L-tc R-s L-tc R-tc L-o

Thanks Tone, I will give it a try.
torpedo tom

Postby davidpenalosa » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:53 am

I remember that Kim Atkinson once told me he found that rhythm mentioned in some kind of music reference book. He said it's called "boogaloo", is from New Orleans and is the only authentic North American hand drum pattern. I took this info at face value, but over twenty years later I asked Kim about it, hoping to get the name of the book and he didn't remember the source (although he still does call the pattern by that name). I was very disappointed that Kim had no recollection. Here's the pattern in 2-3, as it's always played:

O - O - S - - O - O O - S - - -

O = open tone
S = slap

It's very similar to the Cuban comparsa bell pattern. The slaps are on the backbeat, just like the funk drumset part. I don't know the earliest recorded example. Perhaps Johnny knows? You hear it a lot in early Motown and related music. I have found it helpful at times when I needed to reinforce the backbeat in 2-3 music.
-David
davidpenalosa

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises