Michael Spiro online conga classes

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Re: Michael Spiro online conga classes

Postby vinnieL » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:10 am

well i think i'll try it out for $10.00 and see if i like it. Thanks again for the info
vinnieL

Postby afrocubarico » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:37 am

Hola congueros y congueras!
I took Steve up on his offer to sign up to CongaMasterClass.com using the special code "congaplace" and got my first month for $9.95. I have enjoyed this site and have already learned a few things I didn't know beforehand. For example, there is this pattern Michael teaches for the low drum part of Guaguanco. I believe it's a Havana version of the salidor part and its smokes! It's not easy at first but after practicing it for what felt like a gazillion times over the last couple of days it finally paid off. It is sweeeeet! I still have to of course polish it down but it's going to be fun playing this in a rumba. Can't wait to lay this one down at my next workshop. Has anyone here tried playing this one? (It's the last pattern Michael plays in the Low Drum Guaguanco #1 lesson)

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby vinnieL » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:48 am

I think the site is down for some reason i hope it doesn't stay down long I just joined! LOL
vinnieL

Postby vinnieL » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:08 pm

OK it's back up today i must say there is a lot of great information on there i like it so far.
vinnieL

Postby afrocubarico » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:21 am

vinnieL,
Did you get a chance to check out the final version Michael plays of the low drum part (#1) for Guaguanco? I love playing this one. I started adding a nice little riff to it with muff tones just to sprinkle a little extra flavor.

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby vinnieL » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:02 am

Not yet brother i was checlking out the tumbao variations and the Abakua and also the Bembe i like the site it's too bad i have no one to rumba with and apply some of these single drum patterns in a rumba setting but it's still great learning new things i will check out the guaguanco section today i work at night so when i wake up i'll check it out. It's a great site though.
vinnieL

Postby vinnieL » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:51 am

Afrocubarico,

Yes brother i checked it out it is really nice.
vinnieL

Postby sjhendee » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:23 am

A reminder that Michael will be giving a live class at CongaMasterClass.com this Wednesday @ 7:30 Pacific Time. He will be discussing rhythmic structure as it relates to improvising on the Quinto part for Guaguanco among other topics.

This will be a free broadcast and I will post a edited version under our free video section for those who can't watch it in real time.
sjhendee

Postby afrocubarico » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:35 pm

Thank you Steven for the heads-up on this. Unfortunately for me, I'll be at work when the live broadcast takes place but I look forward to watching the edited version that you're going to post.

afrocubarico
One slap at a time...
afrocubarico

Postby sjhendee » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:28 pm

Just want to let everyone know that I posted the class from October 22, 2008 that Michael gave on CongaMasterClass.com.

http://congamasterclass.com/index.php/C ... lass-Live/

Please check it out, he goes over the basics of how to construct a Quinto Solo in Guaguanco. Pretty amazing stuff.

If you might be interested in signing up for the site, use the coupon code SPIRO for $10.00 off the first month.

Steve Hendee
www.congamasterclass.com
sjhendee

Postby congamyk » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:03 am

Great video, this website is amazing and changes everything.
This art form has always been hard to learn in remote areas where true teachers are hard to find.
Now anyone can learn AFro-Cuban music.

I'm joining up on payday.
I hope more people from this site support it by telling others about it.
congamyk

Postby sjhendee » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:33 am

I have posted a new series of free videos. They show Michael teaching one of his rhythmic cells for improvising on Quinto in Guaguanco. Behind the scenes there are 5 more plus over 100 other videos for viewing. We also added videos for Conga de Comparsa and Chekere.

You can still use the coupon code CONGAPLACE to get $10 off the first month.
sjhendee

Postby windhorse » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:32 am

I was just in there looking at Palo and Quiro, and getting some good tips while trying out my new Mac notebook.
The vids are coming in really nice and very clear!!
Thanks so much for this GREAT site! :D

Dave
windhorse

Postby sjhendee » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am

Announcing the addition of classes by Karl Perazzo to CongaMasterClass.com!

Michael and I are thrilled to let you know that we just posted 13 new videos of Latin Percussion master Karl Perazzo teaching bongo. You might know him best for his incredible timbale playing for Carlos Santana, and not for his bongo ability. But I'm sure you will agree that his approach to the instrument, both mental and physical, makes him one of the finest bongoceros around. Karl will take you step by step through all of the basic strokes, 3 different martillos and several golpes. In addition, he gives some great insights along the way into his mental concept towards the music. Each of these videos is a real gold mine to the careful viewer!

http://congamasterclass.com/index.php/T ... go-Videos/

Coming Soon! Heal-Toe Exercises--not for the faint of heart!

Master percussionist Karl Perazzo has played some kind of drum or other since the age of 2 . At age 7 he played in a band that his mother and father formed, and from there he went on to play with Cal Tjader while only in the 6th grade. Born and raised in San Francisco's Mission District, he has played with the best in Pop, Jazz, Rock and Latin Music. The self-taught musician is currently playing with the Santana Band, and has recorded 3 albums with the guitar legend, one of which is a live album recorded in South America.

He has sat in with the greats of Latin Music, including Tito Puente, Machete, Ruben Blades and others amongst many others, and has recorded and played with Malo, Jorge Santana, Cal Tjader, Dizzy Gilespie, Andy Narrel, Ray Obiedo, Tom Coster, Pete and Coke Escovedo, Dennis Chambers, Sheila E., The Artist, Mariah Carey, Paquito D' Rivera, and is on the latest John Lee Hooker album. He also has also recorded with some of the top artists in both Japan and Italy.

Karl has also performed on an array of TV shows, such as American Bandstand, Soul Train, Solid Gold, Jay Leno, Johnny Carson, David Letterman, The Grammies, The American Music Awards, and was the first percussionist to be invited to sit in with The Arsenio Hall Show house band on more than one occasion, and to perform on his 100th show.

Aside from all this Perazzo still finds the time to record with numerous performers and now to begin a video series for CongaMasterClass.com. He strongly believes that the knowledge he has is not his to keep, but to be shared with people around the world!
sjhendee

Previous

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises