Feelin' Alright

A place where discuss about secrets, tips and suggestions for practicing on congas and to improve your skill and technique ...

Feelin' Alright

Postby Fignewton » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:47 pm

Hello,

I'm new to the Congas and am having a hard time. I come from a piano background and can read music, I love some of the patterns I've come across that have been written with notation. That's easy for me. Once I see it notated, I can learn it. I know this is probably ass backwards, but it works for me.

Does anyone know where I can find the Conga part for Joe Cocker's Feelin' Alright notated? I love the rhythm, I just can't hear it right yet.

Thanks.

p.s. if any pros could listen to it and pass along the notation, that would be amazing as well!
Fignewton

Re: Feelin' Alright

Postby Derbeno » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:24 am

Yeah great tune, It is a fairly straight forward adaptation of the standard two drum Tumbao with hardly any variation through out.

Check out this clip, there are quite a few glimpses of the Conguero to allow you to piece it together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWFXFoRG7Zo

btw As we are on the pop Conga theme, I also like the Conga sound on Jerry Rafferty's Bakerstreet
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby No.2-1820 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:34 pm

Steely Dan - Do it again - Has a great conga line, kind of songo-ish to these ears. 'Rare Earth' are another favorite of mine.

Barrie
No.2-1820

Postby burke » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:10 pm

Pretty sure "do it again" is a straight Marcha ... could be wrong but is sure sounds like good old HTSTHTOO to me.
Burke
burke

Postby No.2-1820 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:06 pm

I play HT ST OO OO The last two opens on the tumba first two on the conga. Seems to be what they were doing. I'd better go give it another listen.

Barrie
No.2-1820

Postby Light Seeker » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:22 pm

No.2-1820 wrote:I play HT ST OO OO The last two opens on the tumba first two on the conga. Seems to be what they were doing. I'd better go give it another listen.

Barrie

It's pretty much that, only beat 1 is an open tone on the conga, and sometimes there are extra open tones, like 32nd notes. And this rhythm is improvised upon throughout the song. But yeah, that's about it.
Light Seeker

Postby No.2-1820 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:12 pm

That's right of course, and is actually how I play it, I forgot that open tone on the one, don't know why I forgot that, it took a while to get it smooth, I started going
: right left right for the OT S at the beginning but now go left left right, it was moving the same hand forward for the touch after the open that took a bit of muscle memory training but it seems to make more sense now, I think because I'm not ending with 3 notes on the right hand. A fun song to unwind with after focusing on clave based rhythms.

Barrie
No.2-1820

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:38 pm

first that is not the way it was originally played or reccorded...chek out Woodstock to hear what the brother was playing...as far as what this guy is doing...it's all backwards to me...and he doesn't know much from what i can see....Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby Chupacabra » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:20 am

While you're checking out Woodstock, don't pass up the blazing performance of Santana's "Soul Sacrifice"!
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby Whopbamboom » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:24 am

Speaking of Joe Cocker's "Feeling Alright", (at least on the LIVE version), the song opens with a nice little jam on congas... and I just love the sound of those drums! Can anybody take a good educated guess (by ear) at what those congas may have been? Someone with a good ear told me they thought possibly Skin on Skin's, but perhaps someone else here might give some additional insight?
Whopbamboom

Postby Whopbamboom » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:19 pm

Ooops... MY MISTAKE--- the CD that I have with Feeling Alright has some live stuff, but the Feeling Alright track is NOT live-- it is the original recording. But I'd still like to know what those congas were exactly.

The liner notes that I have simply say that the musician was Laudir (I don't know who that is) on tumba (and on maracas).
Whopbamboom

Postby Marcus » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:39 pm

going fishing here!

That conga pattern is moving really fast for me, but it sure is a nice little pattern. If someone could lay out the basics for me, your karmic payback would be immense. Seems like there is a bass tone on the tumba then a slap with a really fast heel toe and few open tones, but it is just too fast for me. Can not tell where the 1 is.

thank you, marcus
Marcus

Postby Derbeno » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:26 am

The one is a palm or base note so you won't hear it through all the music.

The two open tones will be on the 4+ respectively.
Use this to orientate your self if you cant pick out the one.
so:
1+2+3+4+1+2+3+4+
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:41 pm

Laudir O'liviera is a Brasilian percussionist also played in the band Chicago and with Sergio Mendes...this is him today and he is still with Chicago...
laudir.jpg
laudir.jpg (25.65 KiB) Viewed 17929 times
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:36 pm

Mongo Santamaria's version .... https://youtu.be/xyIjYxda9_Y
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas Technique, Rhythms and Exercises