back from Havana

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

back from Havana

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:15 am

I didn't know where to post elsewhere, so I found the Bata Drums section comes closest. This is sort of OT from the start. I just thought I should let you know that I came back from Havana 10 days ago without having touched a single drum. The purpose was to make Ifá, which I did. After 4 weeks extensive ritual work and training I was even glad not to switch around and exhibit my lack of practice. I was afraid I might had lost my sound, and my focus on rhythm.

I have seen a few rumbas. Amado Dedeu lived around the corner, and funny enough, he happened to be the one to lend us his long table for the mesa del Iyoyé. I learned that afterwards. I did not have any further contact with him.

What we know as Cuban music seems to be known among the young people as "música tradicional", and this includes Timba. The majority of them listens to Reggaetón, or Enrique Iglesias, Marc Anthony, Selena etc.. My hermano in Ifá had never heard the name of Arsenio Rodríguez. A girl I met made a face as if she had smelt something funny, when I told her what style of music I preferred to listen.

I could tell more, but first of all I'm happy to be back with my wife, as with my drums, my records and books. And poco a poco I am realizing that this Ifá is mine, and that I may be called a babalawo now, although I'm not yet at the point to "work Ifá" for others.

Greetings,

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Re: back from Havana

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:58 am

Iboru Iboya, Iboya Ibocheche. Congratulations Thomas, a huge and proud accomplishment. Ache Abure.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Re: back from Havana

Postby Thomas Altmann » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Thank you very much, Marcelo. Yeah, that was quite a step. I feel it was my last opportunity; I either had to make it now or never.

One more musical remark: On the ubiquitous television we received Miami's megaTV, and I really loved Alexis Valdes' Tu Night Show, mostly for that killer band he has on it. Check out their groove on "la RisoTerapía" (like at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fz4yf8V ... ure=relmfu). Yes, the jokes are nice, too. (I was already happy when I was able to understand them.)

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Return to Bata Drums