Tui-Tui

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Tui-Tui

Postby vasikgreif » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi, could anyone recommend me a recording with Tui-Tui toque? I only know about last track of Barreto´s Santisimo, and I would like to check more, as I'm learning it now. I'm sure I do have many recordings with this toque, I propably just didn't recognize it before...
vasikgreif

Re: Tui-Tui

Postby Thomas Altmann » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi Vasik,

Lazaro Ros/Orisha Aye: Oya, track 10, and Abbilona, Oyá 1, track 4. Here, Tui-Tui is coupled with the song "Ayiloda okuo", which traditional purists say belongs to the toque Oya por derecho. But Tui-Tui "rocks" better (rumba attitude).

Milton Cardona, on his record Bembe plays Tui-Tui for Changó. Tui-Tui belongs originally to Changó but is lent to Oyá. The 1st track on the 3rd Volume of the Cabrera/Tarafa CDs on Smithsonian Folkways (Havana & Matanzas, Cuba ca. 1957: Batá, Bembé, and Palo Songs) is called "Tui-Tui for Shangó".

Often, the toque is played in a rudimentary short form when it is used to accompany a canto in clave. Also you will find that every tambor plays the sections and transitions a little differently.

Also check out the first half of track 14 of Grupo Oba-Ilú: Drums of Cuba, for floreos.

I love Francisco Aguabella's Matanzas version (seco, for Oyá) on the Gon Bops recordings, reissued as Oriki Ara Oko (track 9). Another example for Matanzas style is on the Antología de la música afrocubana, Vol. 2. Here it is played seco in combination with Oyá bi'kú (track 10), same as on Sacred Rhythms of Cuban Santería.

There is certainly more on records.

Greetings,

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Re: Tui-Tui

Postby AfroCubanPerWor » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:56 pm

There's a Puntilla CD with a tui-tui on it. I'm not sure the name anymore but it has a picture of him on the cover and much of it (if not all?) was recorded live.
AfroCubanPerWor

Return to Bata Drums