Instructional Video for batas? (havana-style)

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Instructional Video for batas? (havana-style)

Postby Firebrand » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:36 pm

I was just wondering if anyone had any video that teaches the different bata patterns of the havana style. I take lessons with an accomplished master batalero (one of puntilla's cadres), but learning is frustratingly low because I forget patterns from a lesson to the next. Amira's book contains 20% mistakes and cannot be fully trusted (mostly related to the Iya and its "llamadas"). Abbilona CD are great for listening, but it's hard to decipher what each part is doing. Thankfully, amira's okonkolo patterns seem accurate and the abbilona cd's okonkolo is easier to decipher...but I need a video reference and my bata teacher is reluctant to let me have video footage.
Firebrand

Re: Instructional Video for batas? (havana-style)

Postby tumbador79 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Check this out on you tube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7cuuu6ZjMk "apozo82" has put up videos of the oru seco (minus yemaya and oya) each drum is played seperately.. Manley 'piri' Lopez played itotele on the abbilona recordings (more info here - http://manleycvenglish.blogspot.com/)
Hope this helps!
tumbador79

Postby flaco999 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:28 am

What up firebrand , It's Ronnie from facebook.
I gotta tell you , I think you are wrong about John Amira's book being 20% inaccurate. John knows his shit, and it comes from an older style in the vein of Jesus Perez. Cats like like Puntilla and Victor Sterling play a little different because like everything else music has an evolved since Jesus's day. Nodody I've heard yet plays as slick as Abbilona , however if anybody is 20% inaccurate it is Abbilona , though I am a huge fan, and believe they along with Pedrito play on a level all their own.

Abbilona are some guy's from Havana who are the creators of guarachapangueo. They are rumberos, and are true improvisors. They stretch out on everything including the orisha stuff and don't adhere to folklore. Good for them!!!

There is a great video I have , I'll try and burn it for you with a guy I play with in a lesson with Ramon Diaz , and I have Carlos Aldama going threw the seco.
Why wouldn't your teacher let you watch video anyway??
If I were you I'd start transcribing what ever you can hear. I have lots of Abbilona transcribed and play in a style that borrows from them as well as from Amira's older transcriptions. Remember , there is no right or wrong way to play this shit. I mean if you think that , just youtube some nigerian bata ensemble, and you will see that everyone in Cuba , P.R and the U.S play "wrong".
I'll let you know about the vids if I can get them copied.
Be well
Ronnie
flaco999

Postby tamboricua » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:07 pm

Firebrand,

Although not in video format, I might suggest to check out Grupo Olubata instructional batá package.

This is a play-along instructional series of 3 CD's plus transcriptions of Oru Seco (Havana Style) putted together by Colin Douglas.

Volume 1 features entire Oru Seco (Havana Style) with all three drums on it.

Volume 2 Oru Seco (Havana Style) minus Itotele tracks.

Volume 3 Oru Seco (Havana Style) minus Okónkolo tracks.

For more information check out the link below:

http://www.latinpulsemusic.com/artists/show/7

Hope this helps!!!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Firebrand » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:40 pm

Tumbador79, te la comistes! It can't come clearer than that. I'll use this video for reference (I'll see what Sterling has to say about it...but just on my own observations, Ellegua, Ogun, Ochosi, Ibanloke, and Inle seem authentic), use Amira's book to clear up any notational questions, and of course, when in doubt, consult Sterling for his authoritative comments.

Thanks all who posted...that YouTube channell is a GOLD mine!
Firebrand

Postby tumbador79 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:32 pm

Hey Firebrand you're welcome! It really blows my mind that we can see this stuff-the internet is amazing sometimes! Bear in mind that what he plays on the vids differs a bit even from the abbilona recordings - goes to show how things can change.
tumbador79

Postby pcastag » Sun May 02, 2010 4:29 pm

Here's some great transcriptions of some bolanos stuff from a french guy, accurate with lots of floreros .

http://www.citypercussion.com/intro-en/home.htm

PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sun May 02, 2010 6:30 pm

jB Meier of citypercussion speaks French, but actually he's Swiss.

True, the stuff is good. A bit difficult to read perhaps.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun May 02, 2010 7:50 pm

I would recommend Carlos Aldama's video Oro Santo y Egun and El Lenguaje del Tambor/2 DVD's...both Xcellant!..."JC" Johnny Conga
JohnnyConga

Postby Congadelica » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:40 am

Hi Johnny . I have the El Lenguaje del Tambor/2 but must point out that this is Matanzas style . the OP requested information on Havana style . El Lenguaje del Tambor/2 is the best instructional DVD I have seen .
On a different note A friend of mine who has studdied both styles tells me there is another style in New york US, he called it Newyork style and said it is very similar to Havana style ,he said a little funkier .

Ciao

Marco
Congadelica

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Carlos Aldama's DVD's are Havana style. I have the first one, which is made as a transfer from a VCR recorded at his home in Cuba years ago, all in Spanish. It's very cool, maybe not the best instructional DVD, its certainly an authentic source. Each part is demonstrated by Carlos himself individually. I think his second DVD was produced here in the Bay Area, and is presented with an ensemble.
bongosnotbombs

Postby sjhendee » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:04 pm

We are also beginning to cover Bata on CongaMasterClass.com, Michael Spiro and Jesus Diaz presenting...So far we have

Bata-Overview
Bata Rumba
Ñongo-Cha Cha Elekefun
Ellegua
Ogun
Ochosi
Obaloke
Inle

With more on the way.
sjhendee

Postby OBAKOSODIDE » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:57 pm

Carlos Lazaro Aldama Perez
http://www.carlosaldama.com

Carlos’s life has been dedicated to the teaching and the performance of Afro-Cuban music. This passion and commitment to the rich culture of Cuban people, has afforded him to teach and perform music throughout Europe, the Americas and Africa. Carlos Aldama now lives in San Leandro, CA and is available for lectures, consultations, private & group classes, performances and workshops.

YOU CAN ALSO FIND HIM ON FACEBOOK>>>>> CARLOS LAZARO ALDAMA PEREZ
From the drum to Olofi's ears...gracias para aña
OBAKOSODIDE

Postby Firebrand » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:25 pm

Anyone have the carlos Aldama video?
Firebrand

Return to Bata Drums