Pepe Espinosa Channel

Let's talk about what can be found around that worth having..

Pepe Espinosa Channel

Postby Thomas Altmann » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:47 pm

Dear congaplace members,

maybe I'm late in taking notice of a great new instructional channel on YouTube, and you all have known it for long. In an earlier post I expressed my acknowledgment and appreciation of the stellar Cuban percussionist Pepe Espinosa. YT suggested a new bongo video by Pepe to me, and that led me to his channel. I found out that this man is exceptionally busy in pumping out instructional vids by the kilo, not only addressing the bongo, but congas and timbales as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Timbako

His musical talent is as advanced as his technique. Even if you find that certain things can be done in a different way, his way is at least correct. His sound and his timing are proof of it. These are useful instructions of referential value.

The technical quality of the videos is perfect. They are obviously supported by LP and AKG.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Re: Pepe Espinosa Channel

Postby jorge » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:47 pm

Yes, I agree. Pepe Espinosa is an excellent percussionist in timba, rumba, and Cuban music in general, and a very clear teacher. He explains some things many other teachers don't discuss and from the videos I have seen. I agree with Thomas about his sound, timing and being correct.
jorge

Postby Chtimulato » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:01 am

Hello everybody.

I can only agree with you guys. I discovered him a few months ago too, and also appreciate the clarity and quality of the explanations. Unlike many socalled "masters" whose only aim is to tell us : "Check out how good (and fast) I can play", without any explanation at all.

Stay safe, all of you.
Chtimulato

Postby Chtimulato » Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:40 am

BTW, Pepe's sister, Madelin, is also a very good player :

https://www.youtube.com/c/MadelinEspinosa
Chtimulato

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:00 am

It's a shame that the issue of gender is still being addressed, and that it is still relevant - obviously ... Place somebody on a stage and see whether he/she can tell a story. That's what should count. Put the person in a band and listen to the sound and the groove, and if you can use it, that's all that should matter, neither because nor although one is a man or a woman.

In my experience, most female artists who know what they have to offer, usually don't make a lot of words about being what they are.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Return to Books, Videos, CD and other stuff