Columbia ID?

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Columbia ID?

Postby Siete Leguas » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:31 am

Cheers Columbier@s!

Exactly this short clip was the first Columbia that I ever saw/heard about 10 years ago and it was "love at first listen" with the genre for me.

In the clip Luis Chacón "Aspirina" shows some dance moves to the coro part of a Columbia track. I would love to listen to the whole track, but still haven't been able to track it down.

I only know that it is sung by the late great Ricardo Gómez "Santa Cruz", who passed short before the video was published in 2010, so it might have been a homage from Luis to him. If someone has any other info, it will be much appreciated.

Salud!
SL
Siete Leguas

Re: Columbia ID?

Postby jorge » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:03 pm

"Columbia Libre" on the Rapsodia Rumbera CD from 1995, Mario Jauregui Aspirina on quinto, Maximino Duequesne on tres dos, Marcos Herminio Diaz Marquito on tumbador, Ricardo Gomez Santa Cruz singing lead. There are 2 songs with this same title on the CD, the other one is sung by Miguel Angel Mesa. I could only find the other one on YouTube, not this one. These are not typical Rumba Columbias, this was one of the first recordings to start a new style of Columbia.
jorge

Postby Chtimulato » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:28 pm

Thanks to Jorge, I could find it here : https://www.discogs.com/fr/Various-Rapsodia-Rumbera/release/18410677

There's one for sale, but I find it a little bit expensive : https://www.discogs.com/fr/sell/release/18410677 (41 € including shipping from the USA).
Chtimulato

Postby Siete Leguas » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:56 pm

Thanks for the info, Jorge. Much appreciated! I know some tracks of that Rapsodia Rumbera CD from YT, including the other "Columbia Libre" by Miguel Angel, love it. Incidentally, another Columbia that really got me some time later is this clip of Clave y Guaguancó from 1966, with Miguel Angel singing and plying quinto, Manana on quinto and dancing, and Flor de Amor and others in the ensemble. What a different feel had that Columbia back then!

And thank you too, Chtimulato! But yes, that's also too much for a used CD for me. Would buy it as MP3 if I found it.
Last edited by Siete Leguas on Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siete Leguas

Postby Siete Leguas » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:18 pm

jorge wrote:These are not typical Rumba Columbias, this was one of the first recordings to start a new style of Columbia.

Jorge, how is the new style different to you?
Siete Leguas

Postby Chtimulato » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:02 am

I made a quick research, typing "Rapsodia Rumbera".
I couldn't find the CD (I didn't search very long), but I found this DVD : https://www.boogalu.com/video/catalog/rumbon-tropical.

One of the comments below on the page states

It's basically the same guys from the Rapsodia Rumbera CD, so if you like that, you've got to get this DVD.

It seems to be available here for 25 USD (21,45 €) : https://www.boogalu.com/video/catalog

I just paid, but the download link doesn't work.
I sent them a message, and will keep you updated.

Stay safe.

Edit : I could download it. You have to click on the thumbnail below the video screenshot and enter the given password. And then it works. :)
Chtimulato

Postby Siete Leguas » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:06 am

Chtimulato, yes, Rapsodia Rumbera and Rumberos de Cuba seem to be somehow part of the same thing. I could be wrong but I think Rumberos de Cuba came after? Don't know if they're still active...

Thanks for the link, looks like a great purchase. Anyway, you can also watch the DVD as stream if you click on the video in the link. The location is amazing! Funnily enough, in the chapter "Interview with Maximino" (around 36:30), he discusses a bit different styles of rumba he knows, specifically columbia from the countryside, Cardenas, etc, and how it has changed.
Siete Leguas

Postby Chtimulato » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:41 am

I just noticed the socalled "DVD" was in fact a .mp4 file, weighing only 789 Mo... which I find a little bit "little" for a 21,45 € purchase... :)

And yes, I believe Rumberos de Cuba still exist. I've seen at least several videos of them on YouTube, but never paid attention if they were recent or not.
Chtimulato

Postby jorge » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:48 pm

Rapsodia Rumbera was a recording (parts 1 and 2, part 2 was never released commercially) that included many of the best and most senior rumberos in la Habana. Tata, Maximino, Lazaro, Markito and Gato were part of Tata Guines' group, Pancho Quinto was with Yoruba Andabo, Amado and several others came out of Clave y Guaguanco, los Aspirinas Mario Jauregui and Miguel Angel Mesa as well as El Goyo, Santa Cruz, Juan de Dios, I think Chabalonga, and others had been in Conjunto Folklorico Nacional, and there was a lot of crossover among the groups. They had been developing the rumba de cajon style for years, reviving and popularizing one of the oldest forms of rumba. Yoruba Andabo and Clave y Guaguanco had recorded similar styles earlier, but Rapsodia was sort of an all stars get together. A lot of people outside Cuba hated Rapsodia Rumbera at first, couldn't figure out where the salidor went, didn't really get the whole cajon thing, couldn't understand some of the lyrics, and rejected the style for a few years until it became more publicly accepted in and outside Cuba. Several years later many of the musicians, singers and dancers who played on Rapsodia evolved into Rumberos de Cuba. Rodolfo Chacon has been one of the main driving forces behind recording most of these rumba groups (Clave y Guaguanco, Tata's group, Rapsodia, Rumberos de Cuba) and Pablo Milanes produced the first Yoruba Andabo CD. Rodolfo Chacon is probably the single person most responsible for making all these recordings happen and bringing the real rumba to international attention. He is currently the director and sings with Rumberos de Cuba, who I believe are still performing weekly at el Patio de la Egrem, located next to the EGREM recording studio at 410 San Miguel between Lealtad y Campanario in Centro Habana. Rumbon Tropical is one of the best videos of folkloric rumba I have ever seen, and really shows you some of the masters playing, singing and dancing their typical styles.
jorge

Postby Chtimulato » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:53 pm

Thanks for all this info, Jorge. :)
Chtimulato

Postby jorge » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:06 pm

You are going to love the Rumbon Tropical video. Honestly, I have the DVD and the disc is very delicate so I am always afraid it will stop working and I will have to buy the download. It is a classic, a real piece of history. One of the few videos of Markito playing tumbador in the style he invented and very few have mastered. His son Yosvany does play it really well, los Chinitos have a somewhat different style, but not many others come close. Barbarito has taken it to another level but was heavily influenced by Markito. Keep the download in a safe known place on your hard drive and backup and it will probably last longer in that format than in the physical DVD.
jorge

Postby Siete Leguas » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:08 pm

jorge wrote: Tata, Maximino, Lazaro, Markito and Gato were part of Tata Guines' group, Pancho Quinto was with Yoruba Andabo, Amado and several others came out of Clave y Guaguanco, los Aspirinas Mario Jauregui and Miguel Angel Mesa as well as El Goyo, Santa Cruz, Juan de Dios, I think Chabalonga, and others had been in Conjunto Folklorico Nacional, and there was a lot of crossover among the groups. They had been developing the rumba de cajon style for years, reviving and popularizing one of the oldest forms of rumba. Yoruba Andabo and Clave y Guaguanco had recorded similar styles earlier, but Rapsodia was sort of an all stars get together.

It must have been like the Dream Team of rumba (from La Habana at least) back in the day.
Siete Leguas

Postby jorge » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:48 pm

A lot of them, along with some rumberos from Matanzas, came to New York / New Jersey around 1998 as Team Cuba, but their performances were very poorly promoted and not many people saw them play. Rapsodia Rumbera remains a game changing classic recording of modern rumba.
jorge

Return to Miscellanea