Wood density chart

... all the messages not related to the above forums have to be posted here: Thanks!

Wood density chart

Postby tigre77 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:06 am

tigre77

Re: Wood density chart

Postby Psych1 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:16 am

Very interesting - thank you for posting it.
Psych1

Postby Dicemanb » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:28 am

Wow, thats very interesting, and opens up the debate on whether wood density is a prime consideration in making the perfect conga/bongo.

In fact, what are the main properties to consider in the material of the perfect conga (cosmetics/aesthetics aside) ???
Dicemanb

Postby Dangler » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:40 pm

It looks like all the woods used for congas,bongos (ash,maple,mahogany,oak) all have a density of .65 or better.

Living in the Pacific NW nice red cedar is somewhat abundant, and I wondered why there where no congas made of cedar.I'm guessing that its density (.38)and maybe a tendancy to cracking might be the reason.
Dangler

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:02 am

I think the workability of the wood is just as important, if not more important than wood density.
bongosnotbombs

Postby tigre77 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:20 am

That is very vague bongos. Workability? You mean to say the bendable traits of the wood during the construction process? No doubt that is a factor. I think if they made an overly fat bulge conga of guayacan wood I would shun the weight for practical reasons. But it is beneficial to know that above all it is the skill THEN the wood/skin combo for the drum to make exellence. I tend to profess the skill factor often but it is so true. I like mule skin on hembra y macho for the bongos and it is all I know at the moment but it sounds good to me so vaya, cada cual a lo suyo.

tigre77
tigre77

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:10 am

well, density describes only one aspect of wood. Basically some woods respond better and more easily to the different tools and processes you might want to put it through when making a drum. I'm not really a cabinet maker or furniture maker so I can't describe it better than that really.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Dangler » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:59 pm

So have any of you seen any congas made of Cedar? I have a Mexican one which looks like Cedar to me,but it is more of an ornament than an actual instrument,but it looks to be 20 - 40 years old and there are no cracks and cedar is very "workable: IMO
Dangler

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:58 pm

I've heard of some of the Cuban drums being made from "cedro". How similar that is to cedars we have available in America I can't say. I've worked with cedars building decks and outdoor structures, but have not yet heard of it being used for furniture or musical instruments.
bongosnotbombs

Postby roberthelpus » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:47 pm

I've seen similar charts in the past that actually have a column that covers "machinability." Some even breaking things down to specific operations.

What about locust wood? They make xylophone bars out of it. I have a ton of it and have been thinking about making claves. Wondering whether it would be better to use a branch, or a log. If a log, should I use heart wood or not. Any ideas? I guess I could just go to the woodpile and the brush pile and experiment.
roberthelpus

Postby tigre77 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:13 am

Two of my extended co-workers are woodworking geeks with all the tools and they make coffee table furniture and $hit like that which is where the original link on this post came from. I'm a lazy mofo by nature so delving too deep into the wood thing is not my forte. I posted it as a loosed based reference just so those interested can say "oh, my X brand drum is X dense and I like the sound. I wonder about X wood and how it would sound..." Regarding claves I have only played two kinds, an LP brand clave that I had to throw harder and grip tighter to get the crack out of it properly (not ideal but it works) and a run of the mill La Habana vieja claves I bought in the late nineties from a street vendor in Cuba which I still own. The latter crack with authority with the slightest effort even though they are so light in weight. But Robert your question will be better answered elsewhere in forums where the woodworking fabricators of S.O.S, Ritmo, Isla, Gon Bop hang out and trade ideas about wood shop I think.
tigre77

Postby roberthelpus » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:03 am

More just a musing than a serious question. I looked at my woodpile when I took the pup out for a quick one and most of the locust is cracked. No big surprise seeing that it's fire wood and wasn't cut and treated to dry for woodworking use. One of these days I'll find a solid piece big enough to make claves shaped things out of them. If they sound nice I'll finish them. If not, locust is excellent firewood.
roberthelpus

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:14 pm

tigre77 wrote:This was interesting... http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood- ... -d_40.html

Hey, nice chart , Thanks.
Ernesto Pediangco

Return to Miscellanea